04 December 2007

I've been Meme'd in a Culinary Way

Thank you Lewis from Table Bread for meme'ing me. As he says, "it is the equivalent of a blogger chain letter or questionnaire" ment to let the reader know a little about you. So, I’ve answered all of the questions and I’ve realized that it is very personal and I didn’t think it would be. I’m a little shy about this but here it is...

What were you cooking/baking ten years ago?

I was in grad school back then and definitely on the Ramen Noodle diet. Here is how I ate it: add frozen chopped broccoli (or any other veg cut up very small) and 1tbsp of peanut butter to the boiling water (let it cook) then add noodles etc. as directed. Top with chopped scallions or the growing part of the onion.  It is pretty good!

What were you cooking/baking one year ago?

I was teaching a friend how to make pasta from scratch. I was also making a lot of Tuscan bean & cereal soups on the hot coals of the fireplace.

Five snacks you enjoy:

1. tortilla chips
2. anything with dark chocolate
3. popcorn with either chile & lime or with yeast flakes
4. fresh fruit
5. English biscuits (I prefer shortbreads)

Five recipes you know by heart:

Most recipes I know by heart because I cook with my heart.

1. Dal (Indian style lentils)
2. Macadamia Nut Pesto
3. Pancakes
4. Chocolate Mousse (vegan)
5. Vegetarian Chili that has knocked the socks off of meat eaters forever.

Five culinary luxuries you would indulge in if you were a millionaire:

1. a staff of chefs with me all the time
2. grow my own organic heritage vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains
3. I would pay to feed all the children (and anyone whose in need of company or food) in my community a healthy, organic, delicious hot vegetarian homemade meal anytime they wanted -no strings attached (I would probably need a pretty big table and a house)
4. I would set up a free school to teach the importance of good nutrition and how to cook as self defense
5. I think the above answers would probably suck up all of my budget so I’ll leave this one empty.

Five foods you love to cook/bake:

1. vegetarian chili
2. coffee
3. Mexican mole (love working with chocolate)
4. lasagna
5. Moussaka

Five things you cannot/will not eat:

1. I can’t eat meat
2. mushrooms or pearl onions in a jar
3. badly cooked okra
4. any veg that has been canned and then boiled
5. Durian (I only eat it if I can’t smell it)

Five favorite culinary toys:

1. pressure cooker
2. cherry de-pitter that i use for olives too
3. mandolin (the Vslicer is WONDERFUL)
4. salad spinner
5. my french paella pan

Five dishes on your “last meal” menu:

Since all bets are off and I can have anything:
1. Taramosalata
2. A lot of champagne
3. Lots of cheeses (French, Greek, Dutch & Italian)
4. Enmoladas (Mexican enchiladas in a mole sauce)
5. CHOCOLATE

Name five happy food memories:

1. When my 2 year old Little Man helped me make pumpkin pie a few weeks ago. It was his first time helping me. He had the most careful coordination in stirring and pouring. He was involved in every step and honestly it was the best tasting pie I’ve ever made.

2. My mother was a fantastic cook and could make anything delicious in no time and with barely anything in the cupboards. I was most impressed when she taught me how to make tortillas from scratch (we were literally grinding the corn).

3. First time my husband’s grandmother sent me a batch of komish bread -I felt so special.

4. Making lasagna for my G-d daughter and seeing the expression on her face at the first taste. She has NEVER forgotten that moment (she was 3!) and she’s always asking me to make it for her.

5. Ok, this one isn’t my happiest food memory it is my husband’s (and it is too sweet not to mention): the first time I made pancakes for him. It was of course from scratch. He was so impressed that I didn’t need a recipe or a mix. He tells me that that was the day he knew I was for him.

So now I meme you! What do you think -what are some of your specialties??

1 comment:

Tablebread said...

Wonderful Alex thanks for participating!